Thursday 23 June 2022

 If God is a real Person, if He exists as a living being, how can we hear Him speak?

From early on in my first pregnancy, I would rub my growing belly and talk to the life inside me.  It was natural for me to communicate to this little one, important for me to speak words of love and comfort and assurance.  I didn't expect a response.  But out of my joy and sometimes angst of bringing this life into the world, I would automatically talk to my unborn child.

Have you ever noticed that all babies are born with two ears and one mouth?  God intended for us to hear words, listen for sounds and respond to voices.  He also gave us our mouths, tongues, lips, teeth, vocal chords, all to form discernable noises.  Although some have impairments that may affect hearing and verbal communication, we all learn to reveal ourselves and let our needs be known!

God has a desire to communicate with us.  He has had conversations with His human creations since the Garden of Eden.  I used to wonder what language God spoke.  And because the cultures around the world speak various languages, how could God speak to each of us in words we individually could understand?

Although in ancient times, God spoke in an audible voice to Adam and Eve, Abraham, Moses and so on, it is rare that He speaks that way today.  So He directed certain chosen scribes to record His words so that we all could receive the same words, the same message from Him.  This is the Bible.

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness..."  II Timothy 3:16

God is the speaker, the originator, the initiator of the Scriptures.  He used men to write the physical words but His Spirit (pneumos - breath) inspired the invisible message.  In Exodus 17:14, this is what God instructed Moses:  "Then the Lord said to Moses, 'Write this as a memorial in a book and recite it in the ears of Joshua...' "   We understand today that the first 5 books of the Old Testament were written by Moses (and Psalm 90).  An interesting verse is recorded in II Samuel 23:1-2 about David, the King of Israel.  "David the son of Jesse declares, the man who was raised on high declares, the anointed of the God of Jacob, and the sweet psalmist of Israel, 'The Spirit of the Lord spoke by me, and His word was on my tongue.' "  God spoke by His Spirit and it was heard/perceived by the spirit of  David.  He wrote many of the Psalms and we are blessed to have them to sing and pray as we worship the Lord!

Don't you think it's interesting that the Almighty God could communicate anyway He chooses, yet He chooses to speak to and through mere humans?  Now, the tablets containing the Ten Commandments were written by the finger of God (Exodus 31:18 and 32:15-16).  But all other Scriptures were written by a human hand.  The apostle Paul included these words as he closed one of his letters (book of II Thessalonians 3:17)  "I, Paul, write this greeting with my own hand.  This is the sign of genuineness in every letter of mine; it is the way I write."  

I am so grateful that God inspired His Word and preserved it for thousands of years so I could hear His voice personally today!





No comments:

Post a Comment