Thursday 10 February 2022

 My earliest memories of this special lady are at the farm, being the annoying little granddaughter/niece while my Mom and her sisters played Scrabble or helped Grandma make a meal. The farmhouse had fun little rooms, closets and toys.  And Grandma's food was always so tasty and her desserts were the best!

Grandma usually wore a cotton housedress and slippers or barefeet. She was always busy.  Being a farmwife was a full time job and raising 7 children was a lot of work.  But Grandma always had time to answer questions, give a snack and a hug or let me and my sister pound amateur songs on the piano.

This past weekend my 96-year-old Grandma had a fall.  She was taken by ambulance to the Weyburn hospital and then up to Regina.  She broke her pelvis and it seemed like it was not going to turn out very well.  So the hospital staff recommended calling family to come - even with the COVID visitor regulations they were thinking Grandma was in her last hours.  

My favourite moments as an adult are that my Grandma has been part of my grown up life, too.  I asked her to give the "Toast to the Bride" speech  at our wedding reception.  She had taken me to choose a special outfit for my bridal showers and was a real support.  

And then when I had my first son - her first grandbaby - we would bring Mark out to my grandparents' farm to visit.  I would be getting stressed out by his fussiness and Grandma would just cluck her tongue, take Mark on her lap and gently hum and rub his bare feet until he settled.  Special memories.

Standing at Grandma's hospital bed with Walter, I looked at her frail arms, the tubes and IV's making her look helpless and small. Not knowing if I'd see her again, I held her hand as Walter asked if he could pray for her.  She nodded and said, "That would be good."  It was a difficult moment, feeling like this was good-bye.

I always thought of Grandma as strong and resilient.  Creative and gentle.  Her hands represented love, hard work and skill.  She loves crosswords puzzles and Scrabble, too.  And the Blue Jays baseball team!  Even though she can not see very well, she'll listen to the baseball announcer and follow the game.  Or Mom will give her the clue and how many letters and can still help solve word puzzles!  How could this be her final breaths?

But surprisingly Grandma made it through Saturday night, and steadily improved to be taken off  palliative status.  By Monday, the family was now wondering what would happen as now the visiting protocol was down to 2 visitors only.  

By Wednesday afternoon, Grandma was transferred back to Weyburn hospital to recover from the fractured pelvis. The other concerns had been corrected and no tests or surgery was required.  Wow!  What a roller coaster for all of us!

Grandma is still as strong and resilient as ever.  The most positive attitude and easy patient to care for, as well.  

Thank you, Lord, for sparing Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment