Thursday 18 May 2017

I had lunch with my daughter yesterday - at Fuddrucker's!  It was a great mother-daughter date and I am so thankful for our conversation.  It got me thinking.  And God got me thinking, as well.
Now I am not saying that we dwelt on the negatives.
Our conversation did lead to the trials our family is going through, each of us to some degree at this time.  Mark and Amy are seeking God's path for their future and things haven't exactly turned out the way they had planned.  Her brother's sudden passing  and the closure of the ministry program they had been part of have changed the course of their life plans.
Daniel just found out he has a torn "labrum" - we all have them in our shoulders!  He will need surgery on his left shoulder, which will affect his work,  curling and plans to maybe buy a house.
Caylea's life was interrupted by cancer - and these treatments are a trial that seems so long!
Walter and I aren't specifically facing a trial, but as our children face their adult decisions and deal with obstacles, we feel it!  Our new ministry direction has its joys and its challenges-we need the Lord every moment as we face the newness of uncharted territory.
As I was getting ready for bed last evening, I turned to the next devotional reading and it was entitled "Being Prepared for the Worst of Trials".  Hmmm, is there a theme here?  The Scripture passage was in I Peter 5 and I read it with great interest.  The words seemed to jump out on the page right at me!
"And after you have suffered a little while.." (verse 10)
I think Caylea and I were battling with the "how long?" question and the self-pity could have become the main course of our lunch!  This Scripture reminded me of God's perspective.  Our suffering on earth is just for "a little while."  Eternity is around the corner and we will no longer endure the trials of the human experience.
"...the God of all grace, who has called you to His eternal glory in Christ,.." God is full of grace and has called each of us to an eternity where we will be glorified just as Jesus Christ has been glorified.  We are promised eternal life; we are promised new bodies that will never die.  There will be no sorrow, no tears, no pain in our heavenly home.  But before we set our sights on that future glory, God is the God of ALL grace.  His grace is sufficient for all we are enduring.
"...will Himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you."  The perspective that God has a purpose for our suffering and is personally involved to restore, to confirm, to strengthen and to establish you and me is an incredible promise!
I read that last night.  This morning, I woke early and wanted to connect with the Lord before a busy day and the anticipation of a week-long trip away from home.  I turned to Proverbs 16, which is where my morning readings have been.  And what do I read?
"Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established." (verse 3)
"The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." (verse 9)
"The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord." (verse 33)
This just confirmed to me God's sovereignty over our lives and all that we are going through.  He establishes.  None of our sufferings are a waste, or a mistake in God's purposes.  I felt such reassurance that God is in control and we can trust Him fully and completely.
Our family is in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment