Saturday 18 July 2015

The sky was blue and clear, almost cloudless.  With only the morning to spend doing whatever was most on our "wish-list", Janet and I chose to get up and after a quick breakfast, take another walk to her special spot overlooking the Yukon River.
We followed the paved path circling the man-made lake, past new homes in the subdivision and then Janet located the path through the woods.  I didn't recognize the path, coming from a different direction, and the first time through we were talking so I wasn't paying attention to navigating. At any rate, the coolness and freshness through the wooded area was lovely and emerging over that rise was just as breathtaking the second time!
We walked slowly along the high bank, admiring the beauty, enjoying the warmth of this June morning.  I was intentionally praying and seeking opportunity to share what God had shown me that morning in my quiet time.  Janet and I sat down on the sparse grass growing in sandy soil.  Small wildflowers graced the bank.  Birds sang; and two eagles were sitting in their nest in an evergreen tree across the channel.  I chose to speak up.
I shared with Janet how I looked out my bedroom window at the purplish, hazy mountains and thought of Psalm 125.  The psalmist found such comfort in the mountains and ultimately to the Lord who made them.  From my bedroom window in Regina, Saskatchewan, I don't have the luxury or privilege of gazing at majestic mountains and experiencing that inspiration.  We laughed at the irony of that scripture for prairie folks!
   "Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be moved but abides forever.  As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds His people..."
These words felt so right to speak to Janet, as she and Tony and their family faced some challenging times.  They are a family who serves the Lord in ministry, who have been faithful and trustworthy servants of the Gospel of Christ.  Yet they are going through health and other trials that are testing them deeply.  I shared how God seemed to be saying that they cannot be moved, that as they trust in God, their Lord, He will surround them and give them His abiding presence that is mighty and eternal.
In light of the unknown details of their future, I shared how the last verse of the psalm was such a wonderful promise..."Peace be upon Israel."  Ultimately, God wanted to give Janet (and their whole family) His peace.  No matter what was to come.  No matter how details played out.
I told Janet that I would always read this psalm with the image of these mountains in my mind, reminding me of God's Word, promises, peace...this trip and special time spent with her, my friend!
As we took some time to pray for and with each other before heading back to prepare for my flight home, the eagles took flight and it was such a divine gift.  God's presence was very real, through His creation.  Isaiah 40:31, rising up with wings as eagles...
Making our way down the path, it was bittersweet knowing in mere hours this long-awaited adventure would end.  Packing my bags and double-checking my boarding passes and passport, my heart felt heavy.  It would be months, maybe a year or two before Janet and I would see each other again.  But we kept on talking while browsing around the old downtown gift shops for some souvenirs to take back home.  We stopped in at Tim Horton's for me to grab lunch food and then before I knew it, we pulled up at the airport.
Saying good-bye was hard.  But it had been such a full and rich time that we knew God would sustain our friendship even though many miles separated us.  I pulled my luggage through security, went through with no troubles, and found a seat in the small waiting area.  It was full of musicians, folksy looking folks!  Must be flying out from the festival that had been held in Haines Junction on the weekend.  I wished they would play something while we waited but they were busy chatting, draping themselves over their cases and instruments and carry-on items.
I chewed on my sandwich and relaxed as I anticipated the three flights that would lead me back home.
Several hours later, my heart pounded at the sight of Regina's city lights.  The darkness, actual darkness, seemed foreign after five days of virtually constant daylight!  It was wonderful to be welcomed by my husband's embrace and share the highlights of my journey.


Until my next adventure...

No comments:

Post a Comment