Monday 3 February 2014

Sometimes we know the plans that God has for us and He graciously reveals them.
Other times, most often, we are walking in the dark and feel completely lost and plead with God to show us what His will is!  What do you want me to do?
This past week has been a combination of both for me.
We were flying back from our glorious two week vacation in the Dominican, anticipating everything to go smoothly and we'd be home in time to watch our son, Daniel, curl in his first Men's Provincial Curling Tankard in Shaunavon, Saskatchewan.
Our plane was delayed two hours, so our connection flight from Toronto to Winnipeg was nip and tuck...well, with one minute to spare, we got through customs and jogged to the departure gate!  In the meantime, our cell phones were a-buzzin' as news about my Dad's health was not good.  We had no time to find out many details but we hoped to be home the next afternoon.
We arrived in Winnipeg to find our luggage (and about four other passengers) had not made it!  Really?
But we trust WestJet and they were very accommodating.  They would contact us at the hotel we were at in Winnipeg for the night and it would likely be on the very next flight out.
It is now 1 am so there is no opportunity to get an update on Dad.  We felt in the dark.
Next morning, Walter goes out to start up our car.  It had been plugged in but somehow the cord had not connected properly.  Somehow our diesel Jetta still started...then Walter sees the oil...
Without going into details, we get our luggage, find a way to get back to Regina and we run up to the hospital as soon as we can.
While we'd been on our vacation, Dad's breathing had deteriorated drastically.  A bout with pneumonia worsened his condition.  We visited with my Dad, showed him our Dominican pictures and continued to make plans to drive to Shaunavon to watch our son.  However, our borrowed vehicle was having issues and we took it to our trusty mechanic.  Another delay.
Wednesday evening, the family is called to the hospital.  The nurses are encouraging "compassionate care" so Dad can go peacefully but NO!  "I'll try the oxygen for one more week," Dad insists!  By this time his fight for breath is painful.
Finally, when we have left him, he gives up the fight and within a few hours goes peacefully.
 Thursday morning, 9:30 am on January 30, 2014.
If we had got our luggage, driven our Jetta to Shaunavon Wednesday, as planned, I would not have had the chance to see my Dad one last time.
With all these frustrating delays and irritating breakdowns, I had the opportunity to say "I love you, Dad," and promise to see him the next day.
God gave me the understanding almost right away why He allowed these delays.  And although I was asking Him "Why?", His answers were delayed just a little until everything was lined up just right.  I know I can trust Him, and He allowed me to exercise that trust for a couple of dark days.  But quickly enough, God shone His light and helped me see His plan.
"For I know the plans I have for you..."  Jeremiah 29:11
I know even more compellingly, that I can trust God in the darkness and in the light and He will not fail me!


No comments:

Post a Comment